I’m using NAS4Free v.10.2.0.2 as the OS for my NAS box. It’s based on FreeBSD and runs very smoothly on old hardware. I got a box free from a friend’s company that was upgrading their systems (no hard drives).
I made a few updates to the system over time, as the need arose, mainly because the basic requirements were not enough to run the NAS and services effectively.
- Memory: Upgraded to 2GB total (512MB was not enough)
- Hard Drives: 3 x 2TB SATA drives, 2 drives in a software RAID1 configuration + 1 x 250GB IDE
- Power Supply: Updated to Ultra LS 350 ATX
- SATA PCI-E Card: StarTech 2-Port SATA 6Gbps PCI-E SATA Controller Card
- Network Card: INTEL Pro/1000 PWLA8391GT PCI Network Card NIC 82541PI Chipset
Here’s information about the box I have with the standard components that it came with: Standard Specifications